The bluebirds got an early start at the office this year, and we were anticipating the first batch coming out of the nest right about now. At least that was the plan. Of course, plans don’t always go the way we want them to. Last Friday we saw a male House Sparrow coming out of the nest box, and he was not being chased by the bluebirds. That is never a good sign. On inspecting the box, I found all the chicks were dead. It is not uncommon for House Sparrows and House Wrens to take over other bird’s nest boxes. Often they will peck holes in unhatched eggs or kill the young by pecking their heads. Then they will build their nest over the bluebird nest.
It's so easy to get mad at the House Sparrows, but they are just trying to control a territory where they can produce more of their own kind. They are not bad. This is Nature’s Way. Don’t get me wrong - I am quite upset about what happened, but I also understand and accept it.
I did clean out the old nest and left the birdhouse door open for a few days to discourage the House Sparrows. Today I saw the bluebird pair starting to build a new nest. Hopefully, they will be successful this time.
Nature’s way is not always pretty, but it is endlessly fascinating. And most times it is better to observe with understanding than to act from your heart.
How sad. We also had a problem this year. Bluebirds built a nest and laid 4 eggs, but then abandoned it. I saw a Chickadee go in and throw out one of the eggs, so I removed the other eggs and realized it was infested with ants. I cleaned the old nest out and got rid of the ants and the Bluebirds are back. They keep removing the Chickadee's moss, but they haven't built a new nest yet.
ReplyDelete