It’s hummingbird time, and I want to share a tip with you that has helped me solve two hummingbird feeding problems.
Problem #1: Inquiring minds want to know. During this busy time, I am always curious about how much hummingbird activity there is during the day while I am at work. I go home and look at the feeders to see how much nectar the hummers consumed today. This one is still almost full, and wow - that one is almost empty, but did I fill it this morning or was it already low to start with? Did I have good bird activity today or not? My curiosity-fueled anxiety was becoming a real problem.
Painter’s tape was my solution. I tear off a few small pieces and stick them on the feeders just at the fluid level. Now when I check the feeders I can see how much is gone from each feeder. This also lets me know which locations and feeders are the hummingbird’s favorites. Painter’s tape is inexpensive and easy to work with. It is not too sticky and does not leave tape residue on the feeders. It is very easy to pull off and put back on. Even when the glass and tape are wet, the pieces of tape (or if you prefer, "nectar level indicator strips"), will stick where you put them.
Problem #2: Hide and Seek Hummers. No matter how many ports a hummingbird feeder has, the hummingbirds always seem to be on the back side of the feeder. Are you tired of just seeing a hummer’s tail or occasional head bobs? How can you solve this problem? The answer once again is painter’s tape! Simply place one of the small pieces of tape directly over the back feeder port and block it. Now the birds will be forced to drink from the side and front ports where you can see them.
Oh, painter’s tape - what would I do without you?
No comments:
Post a Comment