Thursday, May 31, 2012

Killer Seed

You've probably heard it, or maybe even experienced it yourself - "Other plants can't grow where there are sunflower seed shells!". Just look under most bird feeders and all you see is bare ground, right? The internet also has many "facts" about how toxic sunflower shells are to other plants. We hear it all the time from our customers. So I think a simple experiment is in order. We will soon find out whether sunflower shells should be featured in a "Killer Seed" horror movie or packaged as the new "going green" plant mulch!

I've got several planter pots ready to go with different mixes of garden soil and commercial potting mix, and I have solicited contributions of old sunflower shells from under several friends' bird feeders. These friends will not be named here in case it is illegal to have that much of a toxic substance in ones yard. I have acquired two different woody plants and some grass seed and we will see what happens next!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment