Friday, January 27, 2012

The Bird Seed "Iron Chef"

Over the years, I have spent countless hours developing and testing the various Cole’s bird seed blends.  There is no better bird food available, in my opinion!  Each blend is crafted to be exactly what the birds need and want.  So when it comes time to fill my own feeders, all I should have to do is grab a seed pitcher, pour one of the great Cole’s seed products into it and go fill the empty feeder, right?

That’s when it usually happens.  A little voice starts talking to me.

"Why don’t you add a few Suet Kibbles to the mix?  Yes, that’s much better.  You know, those dried mealworms in that other bag would be a great addition too.  There you go.  The birds are going to like you best."
The little voice continues but now the pitcher is full and there is no room for the raw peanuts.  I must add more peanuts.

What begins as such a simple task often ends with me pouring the overfilled pitcher into a larger container so I can actually mix it and yes, add a few more special ingredients.  I know this is not very logical but I just can’t help it.  The only way to justify my behavior is to imagine that I’m a contestant on "Iron Chef" and the little bird judges will like my offerings better than what’s being presented next door.  Oh, the pressure of competition...

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny because I understand exactly what you go through. I always mix a little of this and a little of that so that there's something for everyone. Lately I've been adding extra millet... and let's not forget to toss some on the ground for those who prefer eating under the feeders. I haven't quite worked up to adding the meal worms, but that could be next.

    ReplyDelete