Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Learning the Birds

Last week while visiting relatives, I had the opportunity to observe two family members who just started feeding and watching birds.  I really enjoyed seeing them struggle to identify the common feeder birds.  I don’t mean I enjoy seeing them struggle...well, maybe a little!  What I enjoyed was the memories it brought back of when I was just like them.  What seems so simple after years of experience was far more difficult then.

Is that a House Finch or a Purple Finch?  That one over there has to be an oriole.  Oh wait, maybe it is a towhee.  Three bird books and the bird I saw is not in any of them!  Then there are all those LBJs (little brown jobs) - lots of luck with those.  And what would fall be without all the confusing fall warblers?

House Finch or Purple Finch?
 
I’ll bet the relatives will be a lot better at identifying birds by this time next year.  But if they're not, it really doesn't matter.  They will still be enjoying this hobby we call bird watching.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like me! I recently moved to Minnesota from LV NV and I am loving it! I moved to a house in the woods in Shakopee MN and the birds are plentiful....Well my landlord says very much so now that Im here, he says I spoil them! hahahaha. How does one tell the difference between a house finch and a purple finch. On my facebook page I have photos of many of the bird visitors that I have. Heidi Wickham Johnson, feel free to take a look! I love them! Originally from upstate NY then living in the city where there is nothing but pigeons for 27 years.... to say the least I love my birds here in Minn!!!
    Love your blog!
    Heidi Johnson - Picsnglitz on facebook, Photography and Art

    ReplyDelete