"What was that?"
"Huh...what? I don't know."
"Well, get up and go look."
"You get up and look!"
Nancy doesn't budge. Well, it was almost time to get up anyway so I went over to the bedroom door that opens onto the back deck. I fully expected to see a huge hawk-sized bird sprawled out below the glass door. I have heard this sound before. A bird hitting glass makes a big noise. Thankfully, this time the bird was not killed or even stunned. It was probably a small House Finch even though it sounded so much larger.
I made a note to drop by Bird Watcher Supply and pick up a pack of Window Alerts. These decals stick on the glass and look almost clear to humans, but the birds can see the ultraviolet images and realize there is something there. We have very few window hits at home but I feel really bad when one happens. Bethany at my Kennesaw location has had good reports about how well the Window Alerts work. I’ll put a few on that glass door. Maybe it will save a bird from a really bad headache, and save me another 10 minutes of sleep!

No comments:
Post a Comment