Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Feeding the Squirrels

Throughout my many years of helping people feed the birds, I have also participated in countless plans and schemes to prevent the squirrels from eating birdseed.  I pride myself in having helped thousands of customers stop the squirrels.  And yet, here is a squirrel in one of the feeders on my back deck.


I am not admitting to failure here, but simply confessing that I, like many others, have a soft spot for those furry little rascals.  The Enemy, destroyer of feeders, seed thief, tree rat, yes - the same animals I am dedicated to defeating get a free meal at my place.  I’m sure there is some deep psychological significance to this but we won’t go there.

I just enjoy watching the squirrels.  They are a nice addition to the bird activity especially when there are no birds.  So I give the squirrels a feeder and keep it well stocked.  My other feeders are squirrel proof, protected with baffles or filled with Cole’s Hot Meats that squirrels don’t like.  Maybe I should get them a Squirrel-A-Twirl and some corn cobs for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I see hundreds of birds a day on my deck feeding on the plentiful amounts of goodies and I'd say 2 -3x a week I see squirrels. I love them, and figure, they are sharing well and they are Gods babies too. Im glad you dont mind a squirrel here and there. :O)

    ReplyDelete