Monday, December 5, 2011

Sandhill Cranes

I arrived at the office in Kennesaw this morning and as soon as I stepped out of the car, I heard them.  I could not see them but the unmistakable "gurgling" sounds high in the sky told me they were there.  I fumbled in my briefcase for my camera while Nancy dove back into the car for the binoculars.  (Yes, we always have binoculars close by, doesn’t everyone?)  The Sandhill Cranes were in two groups of about 12 birds each that joined up to form a larger group as they gained altitude in a circling pattern.  What a great way to begin the day!

Large flocks of Sandhill Cranes have been sighted often during the past few weeks as they move through this area on their migration south.  Keep your ears open for that unique sound in the sky. And here is a helpful hint - grab the binoculars first!  Nancy did, and got a great view of these graceful birds in flight.  I only saw a few grainy dots on a poorly lit camera screen.


See?  For a better photo of Sandhill Cranes plus an audio clip of their call and other interesting facts, follow the link to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's website below.


No comments:

Post a Comment