Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Made in the USA


All talk, no action.  That’s the way we are.  Go USA, put Americans back to work, don’t ship our jobs to China, buy American, and on and on.  A lot of talk, but when it’s time to buy a product what do we so often do?  We buy the less expensive choice.  That "choice" is usually made in a country where labor is cheap and social and environmental concerns are mostly ignored.  That "choice" may not be less expensive when everything is considered.

If I sound like I’m preaching here, I am, but mostly to myself.  I often pass up an American made item, if I’m lucky enough to find one, and go for the less expensive foreign made product.  Yes, I save a little money, but the price difference I paid is typically small compared to the impact of the total amount staying here in the USA.

Okay self, here it is - my New Year’s resolution.  I will do a much better job of buying American goods.  I will practice this in my own personal consumption as well as the merchandise in my stores.  I will also do a better job of highlighting the American made products in the stores so it will be easier for my customers to choose American.  This is a good resolution.  Not only is it worthwhile, it is going to be a lot easier than the one Nancy suggested for me.  Laying off the chocolate chip cookies will just have to wait until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment